Napheesa Collier Critical Of WNBA Leadership Ahead Of CBA Talks

Napheesa Collier Critical Of WNBA Leadership Ahead Of CBA Talks

Napheesa Collier was sharply critical of WNBA leadership during her exit interview on Tuesday. Collier in particular called out WNBA commissioner Cathy Engelbert. The comments come as the WNBA attempts to negotiate a new collective bargaining agreement ahead of a possible work stoppage in 2026.

Collier said the WNBA has failed to sufficiently address issues with officiating, compensation for players and the state of the overall product. Collier also alleged that Engelbert told her in a private conversation that superstar Caitlin Clark and other young standouts “should be on their knees” in gratitude for the platform the league has given them.

“Our leadership’s answer to being held accountable is to suppress everyone’s voices by handing out fines,” Collier said. “I’m not concerned about a fine, I’m concerned about the future of our sport. At some point, everyone deserves to hear the truth from someone who I hope has earned the benefit of the doubt to fight for what is right and fair for our athletes and our fans.

“We have the best players in the world. We have the best fans in the world, but right now we have the worst leadership in the world. If I didn’t know exactly what the job entailed, maybe I wouldn’t feel this way, but unfortunately for them, I do. We serve a league that has shown they think championship coaches and Hall of Fame players are dispensable and that’s fine. It’s professional sports, but I will not stand quietly by and allow different standards to be applied at the league level.”

Collier said Tuesday that she wanted to publicize some of the private conversations she has had with Engelbert and other WNBA leaders in recent months as both sides prepare to sit on opposite sides of the negotiation table this offseason.

“This past February, I sat across from [Engelbert] and asked how she planned to address the officiating issues in our league,” Collier said. “Her response was, ‘Well, only the losers complain about the refs.’ I also asked how she planned to fix the fact that players like [Clark, Angel Reese and Paige Bueckers], who are clearly driving massive revenue for the league and are making so little for their first four years.

“Her response was, ‘[Clark] should be grateful. She makes $16 million off the court because without the platform that the WNBA gives her, she wouldn’t make anything.’ And in that same conversation, she told me, ‘Players should be on their knees, thanking their lucky stars for the media rights deal that I got them.'”

Tyler Herro Expects To Sign Extension With Heat

Tyler Herro Expects To Sign Extension With Heat

Tyler Herro will become eligible for a contract extension with the Miami Heat beginning on October 1st until October 20th. Herro projected optimism and motivation of coming to terms on a deal. Herro can sign for up to $150 million over three seasons.

“I expect to get something done,” said Herro.

But Herro referenced Jimmy Butler when talking about the possibility of a deal not being reached.

“I’m not going to lose my joy,” Herro said. “I ain’t going to lose my joy.”

During Butler’s trade request saga, he talked about losing his joy with the Heat.

“It’s not as important as you all think, I will say that,” Herro said of potential final numbers.

“It’s not that important to me. Being here is important – but being here at a respectable number, I should say. And for me, I have a number in my mind, as I did on the last contract extension. And that’s why I didn’t accept the max, because I wasn’t pressed on it, and I’m not pressed on it now.

“And I feel like a lot of people have put out that it’s $50 million or nothing. And it’s not that. You know what I mean? And at the end of the day, I want to be here, as I’ve said. But it’s about respect at the end of the day. So we’ll see what happens.”

Herro and the Heat previously agreed to a four-year, $120 million extension in 2022. Herro is currently out for an extended period following his ankle surgery.

Why Karim López looms as Mexico’s first NBA star

Why Karim López looms as Mexico’s first NBA star

The Sonora teenager is poised to become the first Mexican-born player to be drafted in the NBA’s first round, a feat that would lift his local celebrity to unlimited heights.

Cavs’ Garland, Strus making strides after surgery

Cavs’ Garland, Strus making strides after surgery

The Cleveland Cavaliers head into their season with two starters — All-Star point guard Darius Garland and swingman Max Strus — recovering from offseason left foot surgeries and likely to miss time when the regular season begins on Oct. 22.

Al Horford reportedly agrees to multi-year contract with Golden State Warriors

Al Horford reportedly agrees to multi-year contract with Golden State Warriors

This signing has been expected since early in the offseason, but was on hold for months pending the resolution of the Jonathan Kuminga restricted free agency situation. Now, with training camps a day away, the Warriors can wait no longer.

Golden State and Al Horford have verbally agreed to a multi-year contract, a story broken by Shams Charania of ESPN and confirmed by other sources. He leaves a Boston team where he helped mature their young core and was a key part of their 2024 championship run, and Horford essentially confirmed the deal with the Warriors by thanking Celtics fans.

Exactly what Horford’s new contract looks like still depends on how the Kuminga situation plays out (as Keith Smith of Spotrac explains). If Kuminga picks up the $8 million qualifying offer, Golden State can give Horford the full mid-level exception ($14.1 million this year, with raises after), hardcapping the Warriors at the first apron of the luxury tax. If the Warriors and Kuminga work out an extension before the Wednesday deadline (likely for north of $20 million a season), the Warriors can still offer the taxpayer mid-level exception ($5.7 million), and the team would be hard-capped at the second apron. Either way, the Warriors have to sign at least four more players with De’Anthony Melton, Gary Payton II, and Seth Curry expected to make up three of those (all for the minimum).

Horford, 39, is a natural fit at a floor-spacing center backing up (at times next to) Draymond Green in the Warriors’ offense, plus he remains a solid defender. That’s why the Warriors targeted him early in free agency. Horford wants to compete for something in the final couple of years of his career, and the Warriors — with Stephen Curry and Jimmy Butler — provide him with that opportunity, if this older squad can stay healthy when the playoffs roll around.